top 10 things to know about road tests
Getting your driver license for the first time is exciting! The last thing you want to have happen is to have your road test cancelled or postponed due to a misunderstanding of the rules and process.
So here are “10 Things to Know about Road Tests” from the Lee County Tax Collector.
- Road Tests are given by appointment only and slots open on a 60-day rolling basis. So, if you want to try to schedule a driving road test on your 16th birthday, and your birthday is on July 12, you can schedule an appointment starting on May 12th. Please cancel your appointment if you cannot make it, so others can book.
- Road Tests are currently offered at our North Fort Myers and South Fort Myers locations. We are working with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to approve road test routes at other locations, so stay tuned!
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Read the Driving Test Instruction Sheet prior to your appointment so you know what is expected of you during the test.
- You must have your own vehicle with proof of valid registration to test. The Tax Collector’s Office does not provide testing vehicles.
- Candidate must have proof of Florida Insurance. No proof of insurance means no test.
- If you are under 18, you must have a responsible adult who is 21 or older with you. If a responsible adult cannot be present, the Certification of Driving Experience of a Minor must be signed and notarized.
- If needed, you may bring an interpreter. The interpreter should be fluent in English and foreign language.
- The road test may be delayed, or need to be rescheduled, if there is inclement weather.
- Remain calm and obey all speed limits and traffic laws. There are no tricks on the test.