man driving happily


Active miliary members applying for a title and registration may be exempt from certain fees and requirements.

View these active military set of instructions and forms to title and register a motor vehicle, mobile home, or vessel. 

Initial Registration Fee

Exemptions of the $225 Initial Registration Fee may be applicable for resident and non-resident military members.

Note: The Initial Registration Fee Exemption Form will be required confirming which exemption you are claiming and must be signed by the service member along with any required documents, such as military orders, out-of-state driver license, DD-214, proof of military death notification or proof of MIA status.

Non-Resident Military Exemption

It is not necessary for a non-resident service member, spouse, or immediate family member to register their personal vehicle while the service member is stationed in the state of Florida on military orders, even if they have children in school in this state or the spouse or an immediate family member becomes employed.

The non-resident service member, spouse, or immediate family member may choose to apply for a registration only or apply for a Florida title.

Note: If you choose to register your vehicle in Florida, a copy of the non-resident service member’s military orders and out-of-state driver license will need to be presented for every license plate renewal.

luxury car

Sales Tax Exemption

An exemption from sales tax payment may apply when a member of the US military, who is a permanent Florida resident stationed outside of Florida, purchases a motor vehicle or vessel outside of Florida and titles and registers the vehicle or vessel in Florida.

The military member must provide an affidavit attesting to all the qualifying exemption requirements.

When registering or titling a motor vehicle imported from a foreign country by an active military member or their spouse in Florida, an exemption may apply if the following conditions are met:

  1. The vehicle was purchased and used in a foreign country for six months or longer before being imported into Florida.
  2. The vehicle is registered or titled in Florida for personal use by the active military member or his or her spouse.
  3. At the time of registration or titling the motor vehicle, proof is provided of the military member’s active status in the armed forces. If the vehicle is being registered in the name of a spouse, or will include the spouse, verification of the spouse’s relationship to the active military member is needed.

Florida Insurance Exemption (Florida Residents Only)

To apply, the following must be submitted:

  1. Proof of out-of-state vehicle insurance from the out-of-state insurance company ontheir letterhead stating that the military member is currently insured in the state where he/she is actively stationed. The letter should also contain all policy information,
    including the name of insured, effective date of insurance, insurance company name, policy number, and vehicles covered.
  2. An affidavit stating the vehicle is being maintained in the service member’s state of military assignment and will not be driven in the state of Florida, except for temporary visitor status.
  3. A copy of the current military orders.
  4. An out-of-state mailing address for the military member. This will be shown on the Florida vehicle registration certificate.
  5. The military member’s Florida address of residence.

Note: This exemption only applies to vehicles registered in the name of the military member or the non-military spouse.

small red car
Translate »