Mobile Home Titles 

Proof of ownership to a mobile home in the state of Florida is a certificate of title issued by the state, similar to a vehicle or vessel. Mobile homes are required to be titled. The exception is mobile homes which are declared as real property and the title has been retired.

When you purchase a new mobile home, bring a mobile home into the state, or there is a change in the ownership of the mobile home, you must apply for a title and registration in your name. When purchasing a mobile home from a dealer or through a mobile home park, title service and registration may be handled by their representative. 

Proof of ownership is required to title a mobile home. If there is more than one part to the mobile home i.e. double-wide or triple-wide then each part is titled and registered separately. Sales tax, title fees, and registration fees will be due at the time the mobile home is titled. Be sure to record a lien if the mobile home is financed.

When transferring ownership to a mobile home already titled in Florida, bring the following items to one of the Tax Collector’s Service Centers:

  • The Florida title properly completed by the seller 
  • The Florida title properly completed by each purchaser/applicant
  • Each applicant must sign the application for the title (this is done at the time of transfer) 
  • Proof of identity (one of the following) must be provided: 
    • Copy of your valid driver license or identification card issued by Florida or another state. This includes any U.S. territory. 
    • Copy of your valid passport 
    • Copy of your valid Canadian driver license, identification card, passport, or passport card. 

Note: Individuals purchasing a mobile home should verify there are no outstanding tangible personal property taxes due.

Mobile Home Registrations

Mobile homes are required to always be registered and display a current decal, even when the home is unoccupied. Mobile home decals expire December 31st of each year. The fee to register a mobile home is determined by the length of the mobile home. 

If there is more than one part to the mobile home i.e. double-wide or triple-wide then each part is registered separately. Failure to register every year will result in delinquent tax.

If you currently have a regular mobile home decal, and you own the land your mobile home is affixed to, you may declare it as real property instead of renewing the registration annually. Contact the Lee County Property Appraiser’s office at 239.533.6100 for information about real property assessments for mobile homes.

Translate »