Driver license Suspension and revocation

There are several reasons why a driver license might be suspended or revoked including unpaid traffic tickets, failure to appear for a traffic summons, being a habitual traffic offender, child support delinquencies, and more.

It is important to maintain a correct mailing address on your driver license record as this is the address the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles will use to mail notices regarding suspensions and revocations. You may update your address information online or by mail.

To check the status of your Florida Driver License, use the Online Driver License Check through the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

Certain suspensions can be reinstated online. Visit the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles MyDMVPortal to see if this is an option for you.

If you have a ticket and/or fine, it must be paid to, or disputed with, the Clerk of Courts Office in the county where the ticket or fine was issued.

List of Florida Clerks of Court

A suspension due to child support delinquencies must be cleared with the Department of Revenue. They will electronically update the Driver License database with clearance information at which time a reinstatement fee may be paid at a tax collector service center.

Financial Responsibility suspensions are insurance related.

Suspensions could result from:

  • Selling a vehicle and not transferring the license plate
  • Canceling your insurance policy without surrendering your license plate

Buying a new or replacement vehicle and not contacting your insurance agent to add the vehicle to your existing policy prior to registering the vehicle.

The Bureau of Administrative Reviews is a division of the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles that conducts hearings to determine whether license suspensions should be overturned or sustained. The BAR can also issue hardship licenses which allow for limited driving based on necessity, like work or school.

Where you live determines which BAR office you are assigned to. Visit the FLHSMV website and click on the county where you live. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find the city, address, contact information, hours of your assigned BAR office. If you wish to request a formal hearing or apply for a hardship license, download the correct form from the site, and submit it to the email provided.

For additional information regarding Suspensions and Revocations visit the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle’s website.

Translate »